Saturday, November 20, 2010

Corn Chowder with Chilies

I had never had corn chowder until I made this. Oooh it's so yummy! I think ya'll will really enjoy this! It took about 30 minutes to make.

2 slices of bacon (or more)
2 tablespoons of butter
1 whole yellow onion diced
2 ears of corn shucked which equals 1 32 oz bag of frozen corn, which is what I used
4 ounce can of diced green chilies (I had trouble finding this at first, but I found it where the Hispanic food is found)
32 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (I used half and half and it was good!)
salt to taste
3 tablespoons of cornmeal
1/4 cup water

Add bacon pieces to a pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook for a couple of minutes. Throw in diced onion and stir, cooking for 3-4 minutes. Add butter and melt. Add corn. Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Add chilies and stir. Pour in chicken broth and cream (or half and half). Add salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Combine cornmeal with water. Stir to combine, then pour into chowder. Cover and cook for 15 more minutes. If chowder needs more thickening, add another tablespoon of cornmeal mixed with water. Cook for another 10 minutes. I made cornbread to go with it. MMMMMM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment